Cincinnati Enquirer – Sen. Rob Portman joined 46 other GOP lawmakers in blocking consideration of the Paycheck Fairness Act, a bill that would have made it easier for women to receive the same pay as their male counterparts.
Senate Democrats, including Ohio’s Sherrod Brown, all voted in favor of the bill, but they fell short of the 60 votes need to open debate on the legislation.
The party-line split highlighted the ongoing efforts of Democrats to portray the GOP as hostile to women’s issues. It comes on the heels of other similarly divisive fights, such as the one over whether religious institutions should be required to provide free birth control to their employees.
- Sandusky Register: Brown pitches community investment bill
- LimaOhio.com: National service: Strengthening Ohio’s communities
- Xenia Gazette: National service: Strengthening Ohio’s communities
- Columbus Dispatch: Brown in favor of college athletes unionizing
- USA Today: Sen. Brown proposal boosts job hubs