Lorain Morning Journal - There’s no need for children to go hungry this summer in Lorain County, according to U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown.
In a conference call Wednesday, Brown supplied a list of 20 places in Elyria, Lorain, Elyria Township and Vermilion where youngsters can get a free lunch.
“Too many families in Ohio don’t know about this critical program,” said Brown, D-Avon.
During the school year, more than 840,000 needy children in Ohio receive free or reduced-price lunches, Brown said.
But last summer, Ohio ranked 37th nationally in the percentage of youths served in summer nutrition programs, according to Lisa Hamler-Fugitt, executive director of the Ohio Association of Second Harvest Foodbanks.
“As Sen. Brown said, ‘Hunger does not take a vacation,’ ” Hamler-Fugitt said. “Help us get the word out about this critical program.”
- WLWT: Senator joins Cincinnati resident fighting for marriage equality
- Times Recorder: Protecting workers from unfair trade
- Morrow County Sentinel: Not Another NAFTA
- Cleveland.com: Sen. Sherrod Brown, 93 other members of Congress arrive in Alabama for civil rights pilgrimage
- The Columbus Dispatch: Sen. Brown urges extension of child health care program