Lorain Morning Journal - There’s no need for children to go hungry this summer in Lorain County, according to U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown.
In a conference call Wednesday, Brown supplied a list of 20 places in Elyria, Lorain, Elyria Township and Vermilion where youngsters can get a free lunch.
“Too many families in Ohio don’t know about this critical program,” said Brown, D-Avon.
During the school year, more than 840,000 needy children in Ohio receive free or reduced-price lunches, Brown said.
But last summer, Ohio ranked 37th nationally in the percentage of youths served in summer nutrition programs, according to Lisa Hamler-Fugitt, executive director of the Ohio Association of Second Harvest Foodbanks.
“As Sen. Brown said, ‘Hunger does not take a vacation,’ ” Hamler-Fugitt said. “Help us get the word out about this critical program.”
- Examiner.com: Social Security advocate Richtman applauds Ohio Sen. Brown for senior support
- The Daily Record: Brown stops at Ohio agricultural research and development center to promote new Farm Bill
- WKSU: Ohio’s Brown sees Congress passing something short term to steer off milk price hikes
- The Cleveland Leader: Sen. Sherrod Brown Co-Sponsors Bill to Put EpiPens in Classrooms
- The Clermont Sun: Op-Ed: So many things to be thankful for