Xenia Gazette: Protecting consumers from the dangers of powdered caffeine

News

Xenia Gazette: Protecting consumers from the dangers of powdered caffeine

In May, Dennis and Kate Stiner faced a tragedy that no parent should have to endure. Their son Logan – a student athlete at Keystone High School in LaGrange, who planned on attending the University of Toledo this fall – died from ingesting too much powdered caffeine three days before his high school graduation. Since then, the Stiners have become courageous advocates for consumer safety so that no other parents will have to suffer the same senseless loss.

Last week, I joined the Stiners in Cleveland to call on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to ban the sale and marketing of powdered caffeine and prevent more accidental deaths. The FDA has alerted consumers to the dangers of powdered caffeine on its website but these products remain readily available without any sort of regulations, warnings, or protections. I believe the FDA must to do more to protect American consumers.

Read the full article »